Shildon Engine House, Blanchland
Shildon Engine House, Blanchland, Tynedale, Northumberland DH8 9SU
Early 19th century engine house to former lead mine currently derelict, it was built around 1805 to house a Cornish pumping engine which kept the network of lead mines operating underneath from flooding. Towards the end of its industrial life in the 1840s, an enormous steam engine was installed in a final attempt to keep the mines dry enough to work. Following decommissioning, the engine house was converted to a series of flats for mining families. It was finally abandoned around 100 years ago and has been derelict ever since. The Engine House is a dramatic reminder of a once thriving lead mining community of 170 people.
Access is available on foot 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, Access for disabled visitors to view the property.
Information-interpretation boards now installed.