Soho Foundry, Foundry Lane
Soho Foundry, Foundry Lane, Smethwick, Sandwell B66 2LP View on map
Grade II* listed foundry, pattern stores and erecting shops created in 1795 by Matthew Boulton and James Watt who established the firm of Boulton and Watt. The company was of pivotal importance in the history of the Industrial Revolution as it produced for the first time complete steam engines, making and assembling all the separate components on site. Now owned by Avery Weigh-Tronix, it is used for the manufacture of weighing machines.
Arrangements are by appointment only. Open for Heritage Open Days too.
- Open on Heritage Open Day
M5 junction 1, A41 to Smethwick. Rail: Birmingham New Street ( 2 miles). Bus. Various services from Birmingham city centre stop nearby .
Parking is on the street, approx. 150m away from entrance.
- Wheelchair access: Partial
- Disabled Toilets: Yes
- Assistance dogs: Yes