St Aidan, Radcliffe Street
St Aidan, Radcliffe Street, Skelmanthorpe, Huddersfield, West Yorkshire HD8 9AF View on map
Grade II listed parish church, designed by GF Bodley in Late Gothic style. Consecrated in 1895. Interior contains a late Anglo-Saxon (early Norman) font sculpted c1080 which came from the original church at High Hoyland and then was used as a cattle trough until rescued for the parish. Above the High Altar is a mid-20th century reredos depicting Christ enthroned in majesty, with St Aidan and his friend St Oswald of Northumbria.
All year: Second Saturday of each month, 9.30am - 12.30am; 3 May - 27 September (inclusive): Thursdays, 10am - 4pm. Check the church website for other opening times and for updates on improved facilities.
- Open on Heritage Open Day
A629 from Huddersfield, at Kirkburton take B6116 to Skelmanthorpe. Turn right into Cumberworth Road, left 40 metres into Radcliffe Road. Church on the right. Rail: Denby Dale (3 miles). Bus: Routes 80,81 and 82 (from Huddersfield), Route 435 (from Wakefield), Route 96A (from Barnsley).
- Wheelchair access: Partial
- Disabled Toilets: No
- Assistance dogs: Yes