St Aidan, Radcliffe Street
St Aidan, Radcliffe Street, Skelmanthorpe, Huddersfield, West Yorkshire HD8 9BN View on map
Grade II listed parish church, designed by G F Bodley in Late Gothic style. Consecrated in 1895. Interior contains a late Anglo-Saxon (early Norman) font sculpted about 1080 AD which came from the original church at High Hoyland and then was used as a cattle trough until rescued for the parish. Above the High Altar is a fine mid-20th century reredos depicting Christ enthroned in majesty, with St Aidan and his friend St Oswald of Northumbria.
All year: Second Saturday of each month, 9.15am - 12.15am 4 May - 28 September (inclusive): Thursdays, 10am - 4pm.
- Open on Heritage Open Day
A629 from Huddersfield, at Kirkburton take B6116 to Skelmanthorpe. Turn right into Cumberworth Road, left 40 metres into Radcliffe Road. Church on the right. Rail: Denby Dale (3 miles). Bus: Routes 80,81 & 82 (from Huddersfield), Route 435 (from Wakefield), Route 96A (from Barnsley)
- Wheelchair access: Partial
- Disabled Toilets: No
- Assistance dogs: Yes