St Alkmund, St Alkmund's Place
St Alkmund, St Alkmund's Place, Shrewsbury, Shropshire SY1 1UH View on map
Shropshire’s first major Gothic Revival building, built 1794 incorporating 15th century tower. Three fine cast-iron framed windows with Gothic tracery made at nearby Coalbrookdale in 1795. The altar is made in Riga oak with a white marble top and also dates from 1795. Both were designed by the architect John Carline, whose partner was the architect/builder John Tilley. The greatest treasure in the church is the east window, enamel painted by Francis Eginton of Birmingham in 1795 to a design based on a print in his possession of The Assumption of the Virgin by Guido Reni. This painting dating from 1642 is now in the Alte Pinakothek in Munich.
Open daily from 9:30am - 5:30pm.
- Is part of Ride and Stride
In Shrewsbury town centre, off Fish Street, St Mary's Street and Church Street. Rail: Shrewsbury (900 metres). Bus: Park and Ride advisable: www.shropshire.gov.uk for details or www.visitshrewsbury.com.
By prior arrangement. Advisable to use 'Park and Ride' if driving, and walk to church.
- Wheelchair access: Yes
- Disabled Toilets: Yes
- Assistance dogs: Yes