St Helen, Station Road
St Helen, Station Road, Hemsworth, West Yorkshire WF9 4HN View on map
Parish church of Saxon origin, mostly re built in 1867 by J L Pearson (2nd rebuilding), Norman font and notable Rose east window. Monuments include a carved marble cartouche commemorating Robert Wrightson (d.1720), and on north wall a tablet to Barbara Wrightson (d.1783); in north aisle, a 17th century monument to Catherine, wife of Thomas Gargrave (d.1631).
Wednesdays 9am to 11.30am; Saturdays 9am to 12noon. All other times by prior arrangement.
Off A623 Barnsley to Pontefract road, in centre of Hemsworth at the intersection of Crosshill, Wakefield Road, Barnsley Road and Market Street. Rail: Fitzwilliam (2 miles), Bus: Nos 35 and 35A from Pontefract, Nos 223 and 496 from Wakefield, Nos 47, 35 and No 46 from Barnsley.
- Wheelchair access: No
- Disabled Toilets: No
- Assistance dogs: No