St Ignatius the Martyr, Suffolk Street
St Ignatius the Martyr, Suffolk Street, Hendon, Sunderland, Tyne and Wear SR2 8BY View on map
Grade II listed parish church of 1877 by C Hodgson Fowler in Early English style. The church was paid for by Bishop Lightfoot, Bishop of Durham and the site was purchased by voluntary contributions from the people of Hendon to meet the needs of one of the most crowded areas of Sunderland. Interior has richly carved reredos, fine altar furnishings and richly coloured stained glass mostly by Burlison and Grylls.
All year: Mondays 11.45am-12.15pm; Tuesdays 5.30pm-6.30pm, Wednesdays 10am - 11am, Fridays 11.30am - 12.30pm; first Saturday of the month 10am - 5.30pm; Sundays 11.30am-12.30pm.
- Open on Heritage Open Day
Off B1522 Commercial Road, then at Hendon Road turn into White House Road and first left into Suffolk Street. Rail: Sunderland (approximately ½ mile). Bus: Stagecoach No's 10 and 11 from close to rail station.
- Wheelchair access: Partial
- Disabled Toilets: No
- Assistance dogs: Yes