St James, Benwell Lane
St James, Benwell Lane, Benwell, Newcastle upon Tyne NE15 6RR View on map
Large Grade II Victorian parish church built in1843 by John Dobson. 1895 additions of spire, choir vestry, porch by Hicks and Charlewood. Interior: painted plaster above wainscoting; queen-post roof with painted stencilled decoration to tie beams on elaborately-shaped brackets. Centre for heritage and culture for local community.
Tuesdays 10am-4pm, Thursdays 9.30am-11.15am and Sundays 10am-12noon. Other times by arrangement.
Road: On junction between Condercum Road and Benwell Lane in west end of Newcastle upon Tyne. Rail: Newcastle (2 miles). Bus: 30 and 31 from city centre
Parking available at Lidl car park across the road from the church. Limited disabled parking on church grounds.
- Wheelchair access: Yes
- Disabled Toilets: Yes
- Assistance dogs: Yes