St James Priory, Whitson Street

St James Priory, Whitson Street, Bristol BS1 3NZ View on map

Founded as a Benedictine priory 1124 - 1137 by Robert, first Earl of Gloucester. The monks end of the church was lost at the dissolution of the monasteries but the parish end was adapted and expanded up until the end of the Victorian era. Core of the church remains Norman with Romanesque nave arcades and clerestories above. Rare survival of oculus dating from c1170. Notable early wagon roofs to the chancel.


Opening Arrangements

⚠️ Coronavirus: We do not expect any grant-aided properties to be open at the current time.