St James the Great, Church End
St James the Great, Church End, South Leigh, Oxfordshire OX29 6US View on map
Built in the 12th century, but mostly rebuilt in the 15th century. The Norman chancel was rebuilt in the 1871-72 restoration by E. Christian. The nave was restored by C.C. Rolfe (beginning 1871) and H.W. Moore (1887-88). Fine medieval wall paintings restored in 1872 by Burlison and Grylls. Extending over the chancel arch is a Doom painting which spills over onto the nave walls. In the centre of the scene, the dead are raised from their graves by trumpeting angels. John Wesley preached his first indoor sermon from this church.
Open daily between 9am and 6pm ( or dusk during winter months)
- Is part of Ride and Stride
Approximately 3 miles south of Witney off A40. Rail: Oxford (14 miles).
There is limited on road parking and additional roadside parking
- Wheelchair access: Partial
- Disabled Toilets: No
- Assistance dogs: Yes