St James, Wigmore
St James, Wigmore, Herefordshire HR6 9UD View on map
Late 11th century parish church founded as a collegiate church by the Mortimer family, partly rebuilt and extended in 14th and 15th centuries. Restored 1864 by G Bodley. Notable interior monuments to the Davies and Kevill Davies families of Croft Castle and Wigmore. Some fragments of 14th century glass in south east aisle window.
Daily, approx. 8:30am-5:30pm (later during summer months). Vestry and tower not accessible (locked) but can be opened by request from key holder.
- Open on Heritage Open Day
Situated on south bank of River Severn within the Ironbridge Gorge in the village of Jackfield. Rail: Telford Central (7 miles). Bus: regular services from Telford to Ironbridge (30 mins walk thereafter)
Parking available from March 2016. Otherwise on the Tile Museum car park opposite the church.
- Wheelchair access: Partial
- Disabled Toilets: No
- Assistance dogs: No