St John the Baptist, Fleet Street
St John the Baptist, Fleet Street, Coventry CV1 3AY View on map
Built on land given by Queen Isabella of England in 1344 and consecrated in 1350. Enlarged during 14th and 15th centuries. Extensive restoration by Sir George Gilbert-Scott 1858 -1877. Used in Civil War for Royalist prisoners and the origin of the expression 'Sent to Coventry' stems from the hostile reception given to the soldiers by local people.
Most days, 10am-12pm (longer on some days) depending upon volunteer availability.
- Open on Heritage Open Day
Take junction 9 off ring road into city, right at bottom of Upper Well Street. Church is located near IKEA on the corner of Corporation Street and Spon Street. Rail: Coventry (10 minute walk). Bus: Nos. 2, 10, 19x, 32, 33, 81, 34, 70, and 81.
Public pay parking available in Belgrade Plaza. Meter parking on Fleet Street.
- Wheelchair access: Yes
- Disabled Toilets: Yes
- Assistance dogs: Yes