St John the Baptist, Hall Road
St John the Baptist, Hall Road, Mount Bures, Colchester, Essex CO8 5AS View on map
Parish church dating to 12th century in the Norman style and built of flint and brick with use of some Roman bricks and tiles. Restorations in 19th and 20th centuries. The spire of 1770 was taken down and replaced during the 1875 restoration by Thomas Harris. South door has vine relief and heraldry and shows the Arms of Sackville. Tablet over porch dated 1564 with benefactors name of ‘Love’ a successful beggar who left money to all parishes that had supported him throughout his life on the road.
Daily: 8am - 6pm in Summer, 9am - 5pm in Winter (daylight hours)
Village is west of B1508 Colchester to Sudbury or north of A1124 Colchester to Halstead. Rail: Bures (approximately 3 miles) Bus: FirstGroup no 83 from Colchester.
- Wheelchair access: Partial
- Disabled Toilets: No
- Assistance dogs: No