St John the Baptist, Stoke by Clare
St John the Baptist, Stoke by Clare, Suffolk CO10 8JA View on map
Large Perpendicular church, mainly 16th century with Norman tower. Extensively restored 1861- 1901. A priory church was founded on this site in 1090 by Geoffrey of Clare and in the 15th century it became a college of secular priests and the third wealthiest ecclesiastical establishment in Suffolk. The last dean before the Dissolution in 1547 was Matthew Parker, later archbishop of Canterbury. Interior contains a fine octagonal pulpit c1500 and behind the organ is a ‘Doom ’wall painting.
All year: daily 9.30am - 4pm.
Off A1092, 2 miles west of Clare in the centre of Stoke by Clare village. Rail: Bury St Edmund (15 miles), Cambridge (25 miles). Bus: Burton Buses No 236 (Haverhill - Sudbury).
Additional parking nearby.
- Wheelchair access: Partial
- Disabled Toilets: No
- Assistance dogs: Yes