St Kentigern, King Street
St Kentigern, King Street, Aspatria, Cumbria CA7 3AH View on map
Grade II* parish church of 1846-8 by Travis & Mangnell, built on the site of and incorporating features from a Norman church. Dressed red sandstone. Tower has Norman style west doorway. Chancel has carved oval panel inscribed to St Kentigern in Latin. Interior has Norman-style tower arch and original zigzag Norman arch from porch reused for vestry doorway. Nave has Early English style arcades on alternate round and polygonal columns. Set at west end of the nave is part of an Anglo-Danish cross shaft, along with other contemporary fragments including a carved hog-back coffin. Musgrave memorial chapel has various 18th century wall plaques to members of the family of Hayton Castle.
Every day 9am - 4pm
A595/A596 north of Cockermouth, B5301 to Aspatria. Rail: Aspatria (¼ mile). Bus: Nos 300/301 (Carlisle/Wigton /Aspatria).
Public car park nearby.
- Wheelchair access: Yes
- Disabled Toilets: Yes
- Assistance dogs: Yes