St Laurence, Ludlow
St Laurence, Ludlow, Shropshire SY8 1AN View on map
Parish Church. Mainly 15th century, with 13th century and 14th century fragments. Restored by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott, and Sir A Blomfield. Ashlar sandstone; coursed rubble; lead roof. Nave and aisles, transept, chancel, chancel chapels and north vestry. 13th century south doorway; 14th century hexagonal south porch, north aisle and north and south transepts; 15th century features include the nave and arcade with clerestory and rich timber roof; chancel, transepts and crossing; crossing tower. INTERIOR: c1447 stalls, altered 19th century, with fine misericords; rood screen; stained glass, much restored; monuments to Sir Robert Townshend 1581 and wife, Edmund Walter 1592 and wife, Edward Woties 1635, Ambrosia Sydney 1580, Theophilus Salway 1760, Sir John Brydgeman 1637 and wife, Dame Mary Eure 1612 and husband 1616. The largest parish church in Shropshire, 203ft long with tower 135ft tall.
⚠️ Coronavirus: We do not expect any grant-aided properties to be open at the current time.