St Margaret, Lee
St Margaret, Lee, Lewisham, London SE13 5EA View on map
Built 1839-41 by John Brown of Norwich, replacing a Church on the site by Joseph Gwilt, 1813-14, which collapsed. Only the bottom of the tower of the older structure remains. Church restored and enlarged by James Brooks 1876, who added chancel and aisles, porches, and new roof. Nave, aisles, West tower, North and South porches, chancel and aisles. C13 style. Paired lancet windows with nook shafts and hoodmoulds. Corbelled cornice and parapet with tall octagonal pinnacles. Square tower has tall lower stage, clock faces under gables above, octagonal bell drum with cusped lancets under crocketed hoods; and plain spire above. Roman cement with freestone dressings and spire. Inside 5-bay nave and aisles of almost equal width, tall arcades, wood rib vaults. Wrought iron screens to chancel and chancel aisles. Marble lined sanctuary and Lady Chapel. 2 small Cl6 brasses with female figures.
All year: first and third Saturday of each month 10am - 4pm. For further details of events and additional opening times please see the website.
- Open on Heritage Open Day
South East London, Brandram Road off A20 Lee High Road. Rail: Blackheath mainline (0.5 miles), Lewisham mainline and DLR (0.8 miles). Bus: regular service on routes 54, 89 and 108. The nearest bus stop is "St Margaret's Church/Brandram Road".
- Wheelchair access: Yes
- Disabled Toilets: Yes
- Assistance dogs: Yes