St Margaret's Chapel, Old Chapel Farm
St Margaret's Chapel, Old Chapel Farm, Mells, Halesworth, Suffolk IP19 9DE View on map
Constructed circa 1100 on a steep-sided promontory overlooking the river Blyth, abandoned c1467. A two-celled building constructed of flint and rubble in a ruinous state. Chancel arch subjected to stabilisation repairs in 2008. No recorded burials.
Appointments can be made at any reasonable time by telephone, email or calling at the farm. Please ensure gates remain closed when visiting the site.
Approximately 2 miles from Halesworth, take the Southwold road from Halesworth. Turn right after exiting the 30mph limit on leaving Holton Village. Old Chapel farm is on the left approximately ¼ mile from the Southwold road. Rail: Halesworth (2 miles). Bus: Anglian bus from Halesworth to Southwold stops ½ mile from the farm at 'The Old Cherry Tree' pub site.
Cars or cycles may be left in the main yard or on grass to the front of farm buildings. Farm and vehicle access should not be obstructed.
- Wheelchair access: Partial
- Disabled Toilets: No
- Assistance dogs: Yes