St Mary, Baconsthorpe
St Mary, Baconsthorpe, Norfolk NR25 6LU View on map
Parish church featuring a square west tower is in line with nave and chancel. There are north and south aisles a north porch and a vestry which fills the angle between the north aisle and the chancel. This leaves a single diagonal buttress at the south east corner of the chancel. The chancel dates from between 1260 and 1280. It does seem that the walls were raised at a later date. It contains a fine Easter Sepulchra on the north wall. The rest of the church is mainly 14th Century with some Perpendicular windows inserted. In a chapel now at the east end of the south aisle there is a huge monument to Sir William Heydon, dated 1593. The tower fell in 1739 and was rebuilt in1740 in matching ‘Decorated’ style.
- Grant Recipient: Baconsthorpe PCC
- Contact for access: Mr Richard Youngs
⚠️ Coronavirus: We do not expect any grant-aided properties to be open at the current time.