St Mary, Baconsthorpe
St Mary, Baconsthorpe, Norfolk NR25 6LU
Parish church featuring a square west tower is in line with nave and chancel. There are north and south aisles a north porch and a vestry which fills the angle between the north aisle and the chancel. This leaves a single diagonal buttress at the south east corner of the chancel. The chancel dates from between 1260 and 1280. It does seem that the walls were raised at a later date. It contains a fine Easter Sepulchra on the north wall. The rest of the church is mainly 14th Century with some Perpendicular windows inserted. In a chapel now at the east end of the south aisle there is a huge monument to Sir William Heydon, dated 1593. The tower fell in 1739 and was rebuilt in1740 in matching ‘Decorated’ style.
Please look at the place of worship’s website for opening times or contact them directly.