St Mary the Virgin, Church Walk
St Mary the Virgin, Church Walk, Wirksworth, Derbyshire DE4 4EY View on map
Parish church Early English to Perpendicular cruciform shape, built on the site of earlier Norman and Saxon churches. Restored in 1870 by Sir Gilbert Scott. Notable features inside include a remarkable Saxon stone carved coffin lid discovered under the floor of the chancel in 1820. Also Norman lead lined font and tomb to Sir Anthony Gell (d.1583).
1 April - 31 October 9am - 5.30pm, 1 November - 31 March (excluding Christmas to Epiphany) 9am - 3.30pm. Key holder Graham Rennie 01629 824734.
- Is part of Ride and Stride
In centre of Wirksworth on B5023 Duffield to Matlock Road. Rail: Cromford (Approximately 1½ miles). Bus: no. R61 (Derby to Bakewell).
Public parking on market place and off Collwell Street and behind the Wheatsheaf pub.
- Wheelchair access: Partial
- Disabled Toilets: Yes
- Assistance dogs: Yes