St Mary's Old Church, Clophill
St Mary's Old Church, Clophill, Bedfordshire MK45 4BP View on map
Ruinous Grade II listed building and a scheduled ancient monument, first listed in 1961 and formerly called The Old Parish Church, but later re-listed under the name The Church of St. Mary The Virgin. The thickness of the walls and the position of the church indicate that it was originally built in the 11th century. It was probably built c.1350 in the Perpendicular style, the fabric being mostly of coarse ironstone rubble with ashlar dressings. The large perpendicular windows were added into the nave around 1450 in the 15th century.
All Year: 9am to 5pm. St. Mary’s old church is a ‘walk to’ venue. Out of respect to our neighbours and residents living on the track leading up to the site, access is restricted to foot or push-bike only. Parking is available just a short stroll away in Clophill village. The newly-restored observation tower at St. Mary’s old church is now open for guided tours at weekends for a small charge. See website for further details.
- Open on Heritage Open Day
Clophill village is 8 miles south of Bedford off the A6. From the High Street, the church is located past the current St Mary's church, third turning on the right. Follow the path up the hill approximately 1/3 of a mile for church.
Nearby roadside parking in Clophill village.
- Wheelchair access: No
- Disabled Toilets: No
- Assistance dogs: Yes