St Michael's Chapel, Ushaw College
St Michael's Chapel, Ushaw College, Durham DH7 9RH View on map
This chapel is located within the complex of Ushaw College (1808-1960) and reached from the cloister of St Cuthbert's chapel. Also known as the Mortuary Chapel it was completed in 1859 by E.W. Pugin at the request of Rev Michael Gibson as a Mortuary for him, and later for Rev Charles Newsham. Built in the decorated style, externally in coursed sandstone with ashlar dressings with bays defined by flying buttresses. Internally vaulted roof. The reredos and altar frontal contain representations of the Last Judgement and Purgatory.
Open Saturdays 12.00pm- 5.00pm March 20th to October. Access arrangements for individuals or groups: telephone contact for information. Access available by appointment in line with staff commitments. Open for Heritage Open Days 08-11 September 2015. The Chapel is open during some events posted on the website www.ushaw.org. Enquiries should be made to Peter Seed at email@example.com
- Open on Heritage Open Day
Road: 3 miles west of Durham City, between the villages of Bearpark and Esh. Rail: Durham (3 miles) Bus: Arriva U1 from Durham City Centre
No charge for parking.
- Wheelchair access: Partial
- Disabled Toilets: Yes
- Assistance dogs: Yes