St Paul Church, Gatten
St Paul Church, Gatten, Shanklin, Isle of Wight PO37 7AP
The foundation stone was laid on St Paul's Day 25th January 1875 and the church was concecrated 26th July 1876. Designed by Mr C L Luck of London and built by Mr R Allen of Seaview. The area in which it is built was known as "Gatten" but this term is rarely used today. The church was designed to seat 370. The first designated vicar, was Rev. J W Grane, who unfortunetly died just six weeks before starting his ministry, aged only 55. There are various foundation stones around the church dedicated to local people who helped realise the completion of the building and the bell in the tower is from a training ship called HMS Eurydice, which capsized off Dunnose Point on 24th March 1878. With various vicars coming and going over the years, St Paul's has had it's fair share of wear and tear, but the 2nd World war also took it's toll and a bomb passed horizontally through the church exploding in the vicarage killing Rev. R B Irons and all the other occupants. The church was re-opened in February 1947. Like all old churches, St Paul's is now in need of some TLC and wind,rain and erosion are contributing to todays costly repairs.
Please look at the place of worship’s website for opening times or contact them directly.