St Peter, Edensor
St Peter, Edensor, Bakewell, Derbyshire DE45 1PH View on map
Built by Sir George Gilbert Scott between 1860 - 68 on site of 12th and 15th century churches. 13th century Gothic style of ample and impressive proportions. Set in the Chatsworth estate, the church dominates the village of Edensor. Notable font and pulpit made from alabaster and local marble. The Cavendish Chapel contains a huge monument to the two sons of Bess of Hardwick, William Cavendish, 1st Earl of Devonshire d.1625 and Henry Cavendish d.1616. Tomb of Joseph Paxton in churchyard.
All year: daily 9am - 5pm or dusk if earlier. At other times by prior arrangement with the Vicarage (tel: 01246 386385), Mr David Jackson (tel: 01246 583452) or Mrs E J Bradshaw (tel: 01246 582421)
- Is part of Ride and Stride
North of Matlock and 3½ miles NW of Bakewell off B6012 in Chatsworth Park. Rail: Matlock (8½ miles), Chesterfield (12 miles), Sheffield (14 miles). Bus: Peak Line 218, Sheffield to Bakewell and Chatsworth stopping at Edensor Gates.
Includes 2 spaces for the disabled
- Wheelchair access: Yes
- Disabled Toilets: Yes
- Assistance dogs: Yes