St Peter, Stanton Lacy
St Peter, Stanton Lacy, Shropshire, Stanton Lacy, Shropshire SY8 2AE View on map
Parish church. 11th century to 14th century, restored c1850, by TH Wyatt. Rubble and dressed sandstone with ashlar detailing; plain tile roofs. Nave, chancel, north transept, south aisle, crossing tower; originally cruciform. Nave and north transept c1050; Early English tower; south aisle 14th century, with 19th century porch. EXTERIOR: east and west walls of north transept and north wall of nave display pilaster strips in long-and-short work; blocked doorway with coved impost-blocks and roll-moulded hoodmould on long-and-short pilasters; tablet above with raised cross and enriched pilaster corbel. Exterior south wall of chancel has 2 cusped and moulded canopies, over weathered effigies; 2 plain canopies to south aisle. INTERIOR: 14th century nave arcade; piscina with small ogee-headed canopy; 14th century octagonal font; brass to Thomas Atkinson, 1657; tablet with arms and cherubs probably to John Thyne Armiger, 1717; tablet to Elizabeth Swanne, 1613; tablet to Samuel Newborough, 1718; carved wood figures to chancel arch.
Open daily all year (except for the vestry, which is generally locked)
- Is part of Ride and Stride
From A49 north to Ludlow, take B4365 across Racecourse. After approx. 1 mile take 1st right. The church is visible from junction. Rail: Ludlow (4 miles). Bus: no route.
Vehicle may be driven up to church porch.
- Wheelchair access: Partial
- Disabled Toilets: No
- Assistance dogs: Yes