The Dovecote, The Old Hall
The Dovecote, The Old Hall, Barholm, Lincolnshire PE9 4RA View on map
A circa 16000 Grade II* listed structure and scheduled ancient monument with approximately 1500 stone-brick lined nest boxes and ledges. 50 tons of guano was removed to reveal a stone altar in the centre. The lower half of the south wall was rebuilt and stabilised, stonework re-pointed, windows re-glazed and door repaired. It was completely re-roofed with collyweston slate tiles, the two louvred flight turrets rebuilt and pigeon proofed. A gutter was attached to the south side with below ground surface water drains. To help public access inside the property electric lights were added. The Dovecote retains its narrow doorway with a step down into the building with no handrails are for assistance. Access is for the Dovecote only and the public are asked to respect the owners privacy.
By arrangement - contact Martin or Rosemary Trollope-Bellew on 01778 560634
- Open on Heritage Open Day
In Barholm turn up the no through road opposite the thatched cottage, go past the 5 Horseshoes public House on the left, parking is the next turning past the pub on the left hand side. it is then a short walk to the end of the road to The Old Hall which has a gravel drive. Rail: Stamford (5 miles)
In grass paddock on left hand side just before The Old Hall. No parking at the property.
- Wheelchair access: No
- Disabled Toilets: No
- Assistance dogs: Yes