The Old Parcels Office, Scarborough Station
The Old Parcels Office, Scarborough Station, Scarborough, North Yorkshire YO11 1TN View on map
The building was constructed to the designs of the then North Eastern Railway Architect, William Bell in 1883 as an excursion station. It was divided into four sections. The two rooms to the west were public conveniences (for use by passengers arriving on corridor-less trains). The other large room was a general waiting room and the three smaller rooms to the east end were used by guards, carriage inspectors and cabmen. The large rooms are all double height spaces with yellow glazed bricks to the lower levels and unglazed yellow bricks above. The roof incorporates glass and timber glazing; it is hipped but flat topped. The exterior is of yellow brick with sandstone dressings. A separate excursion station was built at Londesborough Road in 1908, the building then became a parcels office. Following a short period as a store it became derelict until repaired in 2013.
This is a working building open to the public by virtue of its use, and also for specific events. The building is also open on request. For details of forthcoming events or to arrange a visit, contact the secretary on firstname.lastname@example.org.
Located 220 meters south west of the entrance to Scarborough Railway Station, in the railway car park. At the junction of Westborough and Northway. Bus: route 121 Scarborough-Bridlington. Route 843 Coastliner
Station car park tariff applies. Blue badge holders, no charge.
- Wheelchair access: Partial
- Disabled Toilets: No
- Assistance dogs: Yes