The Walronds, 6 Fore Street
The Walronds, 6 Fore Street, Cullompton, Devon EX15 1JL View on map
Built between 1602 and 1605 and now completely repaired and restored. It was re-opened in 2014 and is in constant use. The ground floor is used for community purposes. It has a panelled hall and parlour. The hall has a large fireplace with decorated plaster overmantel. The parlour has a decorated plaster ceiling. The cross passage has oak screens and muntins. The Burrow Room has frequent use for coffee mornings and costume making. The two upper floors are reserved for a holiday let for up to nine people. There are stairs at each end. On the first floor the sitting room and dining room have decorated plaster ceilings. The sitting room or great chamber also has a decorated plaster overmantel. On this floor there are also three bedrooms (one en suite), a kitchen, a shower room and a bathroom. The second floor has two bedrooms, one with a barrel-vaulted ceiling, and a gallery. The inner or courtyard garden is for use with the holiday let, as is the car park for six vehicles at the west end of the outer garden. This is entered from Shortlands Lane. The outer garden is for community use and contains a pitch for petanque.
The path through the garden from Fore Street to Shortlands Lane is open daily in daylight hours. The ground floor rooms are opened for activities on an ad hoc basis advertised on our external notice board and website. Upper floors are opened for holiday lets and for pre-arranged tours as well as Heritage Open Days.
- Open on Heritage Open Day
Road: Leave M5 at Junction 28 following Cullompton sign. At traffic lights turn left and proceed 400m. The Walronds is on the right facing Nat West Bank. Rail: Tiverton Parkway (5 miles) Bus: Stagecoach routes 1 and 1A (Exeter to Tiverton)
Cullompton has car parks at St Andrew's Hill and Station Road.
- Wheelchair access: Partial
- Disabled Toilets: Yes
- Assistance dogs: Yes