Warren Lodge, Thetford Road
Warren Lodge, Thetford Road, Mildenhall, Suffolk IP28 7JH View on map
14th century lodge, one of only two remaining in Breckland. Constructed of mortared flint with stone quoins it was built to house the warrener and his family on the first floor, with the ground floor used for storage of nets, traps, pelts and rabbit meat. Strong barred door and thick walls pierced by small windows protected against poachers. Altered in the 19th century and inhabited by a gamekeeper until 1949.
The Lodge lies in publicly owned woodland with open access for walkers, but may be closed from time to time for wildlife protection or health and safety reasons.
On a minor road, north of Barton Mills roundabout signed 'Waste Site'. Rail: Brandon (8 miles).
From car park there is a 10 minute uphill walk.
- Wheelchair access: No
- Disabled Toilets: No
- Assistance dogs: No