Westgate Primitive Methodist Chapel, Westgate
Westgate Primitive Methodist Chapel, Westgate, Stanhope, County Durham DL13 1LQ View on map
Primitive Methodist Chapel with attached school room constructed in 1871 by George Race Junior and Atkinson, incorporating parts of an earlier 19th century chapel. The Chapel has an ornate interior with a gallery supported on slim, modified Corinthian cast iron columns decorated to look like marble. It retains the original Victorian layout, a full set of pews and windows.
Events and opening arrangements are advertised on HCT's website www.hct.org.uk, in their newsletters, facebook and twitter. It is due to be open on Heritage Open Days weekend in September and access arrangements are publicised on the building. Free access to the exterior at all times. Viewing of the interior at all reasonable times by prior arrangement with the key holder Charlie Allen (01388 517727). Following a fall of plaster in 2015 the chapel has been closed to visitors for 3 months, but after the repairs the chapel will re-open to visitors.
Located on the north side of the A689 travelling west at the Alston (west) end of Westgate. Rail: The nearest rail station is 20 miles away at Durham. Limited bus service along Weardale from Durham to Westgate.
Available in long layby next to the Chapel.
- Wheelchair access: Partial
- Disabled Toilets: No
- Assistance dogs: No