Open All Hours
Shopping first became a national obsession in the Georgian era, when the industrial revolution brought the middle-classes a disposable income and a dazzling range of new things to consume from across the globe.
From markets and shopping parades to department stores and high streets, this nation of shopkeepers retains many of its architectural gems.
To warm up for the high street:
- Watch our video on how to spot a Georgian shop
- Discover our latest research on women's history and the department store, shopping parades and LGBTQ shops
- Read our shop-themed blogs
- Browse our book titles on historic shops
- Choose gifts and prints from our Archive
- Share photos and knowledge of the shops you used to love
Gifts and prints
Browse Archive photos of how we used to shop, from glamorous department stores to 80s shopping malls. You can also buy these images as high quality prints and photo gifts.