26 Devon War Memorials Listed
Over the past year, 26 war memorials in Devon have been listed at Grade II by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport on the advice of Historic England.
These new listings follow the hundreds across the country that were listed as part of Historic England’s First World War Memorials Listing Project. The project was to protect these special architectural or historic monuments to those who gave their lives in the Great War 1914–1918.
In 2014 we committed to listing 2,500 war memorials by the end of 2018 to commemorate the centenary of the end of the First World War. We achieved this target but continued the work as there are many more memorials worthy of listing.
Built after the First World War, the newly listed memorials in Devon were among tens of thousands that were erected across England in memory of the many people who lost their lives in the conflict. These memorials became focal points for local communities to mourn and honour their dead.
This Sunday (10 November) many of us will observe the two minutes’ silence. This shows just how important we still believe it is for us to commemorate those who have died in conflict. It’s this same respect for the fallen that has inspired us to list these memorials in Devon and help protect them for years to come.
The 26 newly listed memorials are:
- Whitchurch War Memorial, Church of St Andrew, Whitchurch, Tavistock, West Devon
- Higher Tale War Memorial, Payhembury, East Devon
- Princetown War Memorial, Junction of Tavistock Road and Station Cottages, Princetown, West Devon
- Sheepstor War Memorial, Church of St Leonard, Sheepstor, West Devon
- West Down War Memorial, St Calixtus Church, Church Pool, West Down, North Devon
- Salcombe Regis War Memorial Soldiers Hill, Salcombe Regis, Sidmouth, East Devon
- Upton Pyne War Memorial Church of Our Lady, Upton Pyne Hill, Upton Pyne, East Devon
- Ugborough War Memorial Church of St Peter, The Square, Ugborough, South Hams
- South Pool War Memorial Churchyard of the Church of St Nicholas and St Cyriac, South Pool, Kingsbridge, South Hams
- Winkleigh War Memorial Churchyard of the Church of All Saints, Winkleigh, Torridge
- Topsham War Memorial Church of St Margaret, Fore Street, Topsham, Exeter
- Witheridge War Memorial St John the Baptist Church, Church Street, Witheridge, North Devon
- Sidbury War Memorial Greenhead, Junction of Chapel Street, Sidbury, East Devon
- Stokenham War Memorial Church of St Michael & All Angels, Stokenham, South Hams
- Whimple War Memorial Churchyard of the Church of St Mary, The Square, Whimple, Exeter
- Talaton War Memorial Church of St James, Church Road, Talaton, East Devon
- Spreyton War Memorial Church of St Michael, Spreyton, West Devon
- Swimbridge War Memorial Church of St James, Church Lane, Swimbridge, North Devon
- South Molton War Memorial, South Molton Town Cemetery, Mill Street, South Molton, North Devon
- Thurlestone War Memorial Village Green, Eddystone Road, Thurlestone, South Hams
- Warkleigh War Memorial Cockrams Butt, Warkleigh, North Devon
- Silverton War Memorial, Silverton, Mid Devon
- Huntsham War Memorial, Brampton Down Road, Huntsham, Mid Devon
- Ivybridge War Memorial Junction of Fore Street and Erme Road, Ivybridge, South Hams
- Walkhampton War Memorial Walkhampton, West Devon
- Sutcombe War Memorial The Square, Sutcombe, Torridge