Current Research Programme
You can find out about our current research programme, which includes:
- Understanding the social and economic value of heritage
- Identifying and recording new sites to guide future planning decisions
- Looking at the performance of historic buildings and the best ways of conserving their physical fabric
- Research into the opportunities and threats facing the historic environment
- Contributing to the National Heritage Science Strategy
Our research focusses on areas where our knowledge is weakest or the threat of loss is high.
This section looks at the opportunities and threats that face heritage over the coming years.
Historic England is committed to carrying out social and economic research in order to help us to understand the value of heritage.
Historic England carries out and commissions research on a wide range of conservation-related topics.
Heritage science encompasses all technological and scientific work that can benefit the heritage sector.