Canning Dock, Liverpool, Merseyside
This dock is known as No.1 Graving Dock and dates from 1765. It was lengthened in 1813 and deepened by Jesse Hartley in 1842. It is built from sandstone and granite with stepped stone sides. Both this and the nearby No. 2 Graving Dock became part of Merseyside Maritime Museum and hold their collection of vessels. Liverpool developed the largest single system of enclosed docks in the world, one of Britain's greatest engineering achievements.