Florence Institute, Mill Street, Liverpool, Merseyside
The Florence Institute was built in 1889 as a boys club. It is built from terracotta with a slate roof, in a Jacobean style. Florence was the daughter of Sir Bernard Hall (1812-1890). He was a West Indies merchant, Alderman and former Mayor of Liverpool. When she died tragically aged 22 her father built a boy’s club as a memorial to her, "in the hope that it might prove an acceptable place of recreation and instruction for the poor and working boys of this district of the city". It became a focal point for the local youth who lived in a tough dockside area of Liverpool, The Dingle. For a hundred years the Florrie, as it is known by locals, served the young working and unemployed youth of the area. Activities included sport, hobbies, camping weekends and education. It closed in 1988 and has become derelict. Lottery funding has been granted (2010) to redevelop it into a multi-ethnic community centre for all ages and abilities.