Sustainability Appraisal and Strategic Environmental Assessment
Historic England Advice Note 8
This updated guidance builds on previous versions of the document published in 2010 and 2013.
- Sustainability Appraisal, Strategic Environmental Assessment and the historic environment
- Stage 1 – Screening (SEA only)
World Heritage Site management plans
Supplementary planning documents
- Stage 2 – Scoping
Review of relevant plans, programmes and policies
Identifying sustainability issues and problems
Developing the SA/SEA framework
Indicators and monitoring
- Stage 3 – Developing plan options, refining alternatives and assessing likely effects
Evaluating potential significant effects
- Stages 4 & 5 – preparing, publishing and consulting on the report
- Series: Guidance
- Publication Status: Completed
- Pages: 20
- Product Code: HEAG036
If you require an alternative, accessible version of this document (for instance in audio, Braille or large print) please contact us:
Customer Service Department
Telephone: 0370 333 0607
Fax: 01793 414926
Textphone: 0800 015 0516
Also of interest...
This page sets out how the planning system works to protect historic places.
See our advice on drawing up Local Plans that make provision for historic buildings and sites in their area.
This page sets out Historic England’s advice to support local authorities and communities in protecting the special historic places in their area.