Bluntisham and Earith War Memorial
List Entry Summary
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
Name: Bluntisham and Earith War Memorial
List entry Number: 1439179
Village Green, Junction of Holliday's Road and Rectory Road, Bluntisham, Cambs, PE28 3LN
The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District Type: District Authority
National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.
Date first listed: 01-Nov-2016
Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.
This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.
List entry Description
Summary of Building
First World War memorial, 1921, with further names added after the Second World War.
Reasons for Designation
Bluntisham and Earith War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20; * Architectural interest: an elegant and striking wheel-head cross in Cornish granite; * Group value: with the Church of St Mary opposite (Grade I).
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.
One such memorial was raised at Bluntisham as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War. It commemorates 34 local servicemen who fell during the First World War.
Following the Second World War, a dedication was added to commemorate the eight fallen of that conflict.
The memorial was created in 1921 in the centre of a traffic island at the junction of Holliday's Road and Rectory Road. It was moved to its present location in the late 1980s after being hit by vehicles.
In 2007 the memorial was conserved with the help of grant aid.
MATERIALS: rough-hewn Cornish granite.
DESCRIPTION: Bluntisham and Earith memorial consists of a wheel-head cross with a carved central boss on a tapered shaft and square tapered plinth, which is set upon a rough-hewn three-stepped base.
The faces of the plinth are polished and the front face is inscribed with a dedication which reads THIS CROSS WAS ERECTED/ BY PUBLIC SUBSCRIPTION/ IN GRATEFUL MEMORY OF/ THE MEN BELONGING TO/ BLUNTISHAM AND EARITH/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES/ IN THE GREAT WAR/ 1914 - 1918. The other three sides of the plinth are inscribed with the names of the fallen of the First World War.
Further commemorative text at the base of the shaft reads 1939 - 1945/ (NAMES).
War Memorials Online, accessed 21 July 2016 from www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/node/135416
War Memorials Register, accessed 21 July 2016 from www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/162
War Memorials Trust, accessed 21 July 2016 from www.warmemorials.org/search-grants/?gID=546
National Grid Reference: TL3715674507
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1439179 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2018 at 10:11:31.
End of official listing