How we promote equality and diversity
We promote equality and diversity in our core work and we also have a dedicated Education and Inclusion Team. Read more about our education work in the Education section.
- Produce an Equality Scheme and Action Plan.
- Manage equality action groups which bring Historic England departments and external advisors together.
- Work to ensure that our workforce becomes more diverse and representative including promoting opportunities for volunteering and training which are relevant to a wide range of people.
- Work in partnership with external organisations, such as disability advocacy groups, black, asian and minority ethnic heritage organisations, and faith networks, to ensure that we involve and consult people on issues that affect them.
- Make sure the stories we tell represent the diversity of this country. For example, we have produced digital resources on women's history and disability history and are currently working on a Lesbian and Gay History project.
- Make sure our information is accessible to everyone.
- Check our policies and activities are fair and inclusive through Equalities Impact Assessments. These are a simple set of procedures and guidelines and make sure we give full consideration to the impact of our work on people with different needs.
We want to hear your suggestions about how to make Historic England and the historic environment more welcoming and appealing to everyone. Please email your suggestions to heritageforall@HistoricEngland.org.uk. Or call Customer Services on: 0370 333 0607
If you would like any of this information in alternative formats: please contact Customer Services on the number above.