Parish Church of St Mary the Virgin, Church Road, Beddington - Sutton

C14 in origin, the church was much rebuilt with additions in C19 by Joseph Clarke. The dormer windows were added in 1914 by HP Burke Downing. The church is constructed in flint with limestone dressings and clay tiled roofs. The interior has decorative Victorian wall paintings and there is a monument to Richard Carew (d.1520) which is suffering from cracking and friable stone. The tower exhibits cracks, open joints and past cementitious repairs. The congregation is in receipt of a grant from the National Lottery Heritage Fund for repairs to the tower and anticipate commencing work in 2021.

Site Details

    Designated Site Name:
    PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN
    Heritage Category:
    Listed Building grade II*
    List Entry Number:
    1065670
    Local Planning Authority:
    Sutton
    Site Type:
    Religious ritual and funerary > Church

Location

    Building Name:
    Parish Church of St Mary the Virgin
    Street Name:
    Church Road
    Locality:
    Beddington
    County:
    Greater London
    District / Borough:
    Sutton
    Parliamentary Constituency:
    Carshalton and Wallington
    Region:
    London and South East

Assessment Information

    Assessment Type:
    Place of worship
    Condition:
    Poor
    Priority:
    D - Slow decay; solution agreed but not yet implemented
    Previous Priority:
    C
    Ownership:
    Religious organisation
    Designation:
    Listed Place of Worship grade II*, CA

Contact Details

Tracey Craig 020 7973 3756