Church of St Andrew, The Street, Charmouth - West Dorset

Parish church. Entirely rebuilt 1836-8, by Charles Fowler in Gothic Revival style. Nave, north and south aisles, north porch, south vestry, chancel slightly projecting and 21 metre high three-stage west tower. Forest marble plinth, chert rubble walls with "long-and-short style" stone dressings. Window dressings of Beer stone. Boscastle slate roofs; nave has tiled ridge. Tower and church walls are cement pointed which is failing causing water ingress. Works are planned and funding being sought to address the water ingress and damage caused.

Church of St Andrew, The Street, Charmouth - West Dorset
© Marcus Chantrey, Benjamin Beauchamp Architects

Site Details

  • Designated Site Name: CHARMOUTH PARISH CHURCH (ST ANDREW)
  • Heritage Category: Listed Building grade II
  • List Entry Number: 1215162
  • Local Planning Authority: West Dorset
  • Site Type: Religious ritual and funerary > Church

Location

  • Building Name: Church of St Andrew
  • Street Name: The Street
  • County: Dorset
  • District / Borough: West Dorset
  • Parish: Charmouth
  • Parliamentary Constituency: West Dorset
  • Region: South West

Assessment Information

  • Assessment Type: Place of worship
  • Condition: Poor
  • Priority: C - Slow decay; no solution agreed
  • Previous Priority: C
  • Ownership: Religious organisation
  • Designation: Listed Place of Worship grade II, CA

Contact Details

Sarah Ball 0117 975 0666

Next steps

Read more about this historic site on the National Heritage List for England