Church of Holy Trinity, Usworth - Sunderland

Designed by John and Benjamin Green of Newcastle, Holy Trinity church was built in 1831-2. It consists of a wide aisleless nave with a bellcote over the west gable and a chancel with a south lean-to vestry. The slated roof coverings over the nave are showing significant signs that they are reaching the end of their serviceable life, with many areas of slipped and patched slating. There has been some water leakage internally. An unsuccessful funding bid for repairs was submitted in 2017 through the National Lottery Heritage Fund Grants for Places of Worship scheme.

Church of Holy Trinity, Usworth - Sunderland
© Historic England

Site Details

    Designated Site Name:
    CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY
    Heritage Category:
    Listed Building grade II
    List Entry Number:
    1025382
    Local Planning Authority:
    Sunderland
    Site Type:
    Religious ritual and funerary > Church

Location

    Building Name:
    Church of Holy Trinity
    Street Name:
    Peareth Hall Road
    County:
    Tyne and Wear
    District / Borough:
    Sunderland
    Parliamentary Constituency:
    Washington and Sunderland West
    Region:
    North East and Yorkshire

Assessment Information

    Assessment Type:
    Place of worship
    Condition:
    Poor
    Priority:
    D - Slow decay; solution agreed but not yet implemented
    Previous Priority:
    D
    Ownership:
    Religious organisation
    Designation:
    Listed Place of Worship grade II