Church of St Michael, Alberbury with Cardeston - Shropshire (UA)

The original C12 church was replaced by the existing nave and chancel built in 1749. The semi-detached west tower was added in 1844. Restored in 1905 by AE Lloyd Oswell, the church is built of uncoursed Alberbury breccia with sandstone ashlar dressings and roofs mostly covered by plain clay tiles. The slate covering to the tower roof has failed and needs to be stripped and re-laid. The lead lined gutters also require complete renewal. The weathervane requires overhauling and access up and onto the tower parapet gutters modified to ensure the safety of all users.

Church of St Michael, Alberbury with Cardeston - Shropshire (UA)
© Historic England

Site Details

  • Designated Site Name: Church of St Michael
  • Heritage Category: Listed Building grade II
  • List Entry Number: 1055215
  • Local Planning Authority: Shropshire (UA)
  • Site Type: Religious ritual and funerary > Church

Location

  • Building Name: Church of St Michael
  • Unitary Authority: Shropshire (UA)
  • Parish: Alberbury with Cardeston
  • Parliamentary Constituency: Shrewsbury and Atcham
  • Region: West Midlands

Assessment Information

  • Assessment Type: Place of worship
  • Condition: Poor
  • Priority: C - Slow decay; no solution agreed
  • Ownership: Religious organisation
  • Designation: Listed Place of Worship grade II

Contact Details

John Tiernan 0121 625 6839

Next steps

Read more about this historic site on the National Heritage List for England