Church of St Andrew, Bridgeman Road, Islington N1 - Islington

St Andrews was designed by Francis Newman and John Johnson as part of a development laid out by Joseph Kay, surveyor, for the Thornhill family. The Thornhill square gardens were railed in 1852 and the Church completed in 1854. It is built of Kentish ragstone with Bath stone used for the architectural dressings and the spire. There is serious settlement in the north east vestry, and the church had to be closed in July 2019 due to the increasing prevalence of falling stone. The Diocese of London is considering a plan for repairs.

Site Details

    Designated Site Name:
    CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
    Heritage Category:
    Listed Building grade II
    List Entry Number:
    1195481
    Local Planning Authority:
    Islington
    Site Type:
    Religious ritual and funerary > Church

Location

    Building Name:
    Church of St Andrew
    Street Name:
    Bridgeman Road
    Locality:
    Islington
    County:
    Greater London
    District / Borough:
    Islington
    Parliamentary Constituency:
    Islington South and Finsbury
    Region:
    London and South East

Assessment Information

    Assessment Type:
    Place of worship
    Condition:
    Very bad
    Priority:
    B - Immediate risk of further rapid deterioration or loss of fabric; solution agreed but not yet implemented
    Ownership:
    Religious organisation
    Designation:
    Listed Place of Worship grade II, CA

Contact Details

Ian Harper 02079733786