Church of St James and attached railings, Clerkenwell Close, Islington EC1 - Islington

The church was built by architect James Carr between 1788 and 1792 for a Methodist congregation; this was re-ordered in 1882 by Reginald Blomfield for a Church of England congregation when the altar was reset to the east and the galleries cut back. The steeple was rebuilt in 1849, and in 1900 the vaulted crypt was deepened and supported on an iron structure. The nave parapet gutters and the glove-box roofs have recently been repaired, funded by the Listed Places of Worship Roof Repair Fund. There are cracks on the west front, decayed iron windows, and repairs needed to the steeple.

Church of St James and attached railings, Clerkenwell Close, Islington EC1 - Islington
© Historic England

Site Details

  • Designated Site Name: CHURCH OF ST JAMES AND ATTACHED RAILINGS
  • Heritage Category: Listed Building grade II*
  • List Entry Number: 1207786
  • Local Planning Authority: Islington
  • Site Type: Religious ritual and funerary > Church

Location

  • Building Name: Church of St James and attached railings
  • Street Name: Clerkenwell Close
  • Postcode: EC1
  • Locality: Islington
  • County: Greater London
  • District / Borough: Islington
  • Parliamentary Constituency: Islington South and Finsbury
  • Region: London

Assessment Information

  • Assessment Type: Place of worship
  • Condition: Poor
  • Priority: C - Slow decay; no solution agreed
  • Previous Priority: C
  • Ownership: Religious organisation
  • Designation: Listed Place of Worship grade II*, CA

Contact Details

Ian Harper 020 7973 3786

Next steps

Read more about this historic site on the National Heritage List for England