Church of St Swithun, Hither Green Lane, Lewisham SE13 - Lewisham

This church was completed in 1893 to the designs of Ernest Newton, with an extension in 1905. A small mission church of 1884 survives at the east end. Built of red Wrotham brick, Bath stone is used for windows and dressings, and Portland stone for copings, all under slated roofs. A programme of repairs to windows and masonry at the west end was completed in 2015, grant-aided by the Heritage Lottery Fund and Historic England. Further repairs are required.

Church of St Swithun, Hither Green Lane, Lewisham SE13 - Lewisham
© Historic England

Site Details

  • Designated Site Name: CHURCH OF ST SWITHUN
  • Heritage Category: Listed Building grade II
  • List Entry Number: 1192516
  • Local Planning Authority: Lewisham
  • Site Type: Religious ritual and funerary > Church

Location

  • Building Name: Church of St Swithun
  • Street Name: Hither Green Lane
  • Postcode: SE13
  • Locality: Lewisham
  • County: Greater London
  • District / Borough: Lewisham
  • Parliamentary Constituency: Lewisham, Deptford
  • Region: London

Assessment Information

  • Assessment Type: Place of worship
  • Condition: Poor
  • Priority: C - Slow decay; no solution agreed
  • Previous Priority: C
  • Ownership: Religious organisation
  • Designation: Listed Place of Worship grade II

Contact Details

Ian Harper 020 7973 3786

Next steps

Read more about this historic site on the National Heritage List for England