Church of St Margaret of Antioch and attached railings, Woodhouse Road, Leyton E11 - Waltham Forest

A late C19 basilica style church by architect JT Newman commenced in 1892, replacing an iron mission church. The Lady Chapel was added in 1910. There are fine decorations and wall paintings internally. Only the north transept and aisle roofs remain to be repaired but this work is urgent as the paintings and parquet floor are being damaged by inadequate rainwater goods and drainage. The contemporary railings and adjacent halls are also in need of repair. The congregation is actively exploring options for funding the repairs.

Church of St Margaret of Antioch and attached railings, Woodhouse Road, Leyton E11 - Waltham Forest
© Historic England

Site Details

  • Designated Site Name: CHURCH OF ST MARGARET OF ANTIOCH AND ATTACHED RAILINGS
  • Heritage Category: Listed Building grade II
  • List Entry Number: 1390581
  • Local Planning Authority: Waltham Forest
  • Site Type: Religious ritual and funerary > Church

Location

  • Building Name: Church of St Margaret of Antioch and attached railings
  • Street Name: Woodhouse Road
  • Postcode: E11
  • Locality: Leyton
  • County: Greater London
  • District / Borough: Waltham Forest
  • Parliamentary Constituency: Leyton and Wanstead
  • Region: London

Assessment Information

  • Assessment Type: Place of worship
  • Condition: Very bad
  • Priority: A - Immediate risk of further rapid deterioration or loss of fabric; no solution agreed
  • Previous Priority: A
  • Ownership: Religious organisation
  • Designation: Listed Place of Worship grade II

Contact Details

Ian Harper 020 7973 3786

Next steps

Read more about this historic site on the National Heritage List for England