Church of St Andrew, Colworth Road, Leytonstone E11 - Waltham Forest

Sir Arthur Blomfield was commissioned by the Cotton family to build the church in memory of William Cotton of Wallwood House; it was completed by 1893 in Kentish rag with knapped flint walling and freestone dressings; internal walls are lined with red brick, again with stone dressings. There is an important collection of window glass by Margaret Chilton. The vestry appears to be of Edwardian date and has a fine timber roof. However it is poorly founded and pulling away from the church with large cracks. The church is actively engaged in seeking solutions.

Church of St Andrew, Colworth Road, Leytonstone E11 - Waltham Forest
© Historic England

Site Details

    Designated Site Name:
    Church Of St Andrew
    Heritage Category:
    Listed Building grade II
    List Entry Number:
    1391544
    Local Planning Authority:
    Waltham Forest
    Site Type:
    Religious ritual and funerary > Church

Location

    Building Name:
    Church of St Andrew
    Street Name:
    Colworth Road
    Locality:
    Leytonstone
    County:
    Greater London
    District / Borough:
    Waltham Forest
    Parliamentary Constituency:
    Leyton and Wanstead
    Region:
    London and South East

Assessment Information

    Assessment Type:
    Place of worship
    Condition:
    Very bad
    Priority:
    A - Immediate risk of further rapid deterioration or loss of fabric; no solution agreed
    Ownership:
    Religious organisation
    Designation:
    Listed Place of Worship grade II, CA