Church of St Mary, Sheepy Road, Atherstone - North Warwickshire

Large imposing church constructed in two parts with a central tower. Chancel may date from C12 as an independent chapel, and then remodelled c1383 when the nave was added. Older parts are built in rubble. Nave and aisles were rebuilt in 1849 in rubble granite, wagon roof with moulded braces and purlins. The octagonal tower was part of the original chapel, but was remodelled in the C13/C14. Works to the roof have been completed but the high level stonework of the tower remains in poor condition and in need of repair.

Church of St Mary, Sheepy Road, Atherstone - North Warwickshire
© Historic England

Site Details

  • Designated Site Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY
  • Heritage Category: Listed Building grade II*
  • List Entry Number: 1365164
  • Local Planning Authority: North Warwickshire
  • Site Type: Religious ritual and funerary > Church

Location

  • Building Name: Church of St Mary
  • Street Name: Sheepy Road
  • County: Warwickshire
  • District / Borough: North Warwickshire
  • Parish: Atherstone
  • Parliamentary Constituency: North Warwickshire
  • Region: West Midlands

Assessment Information

  • Assessment Type: Place of worship
  • Condition: Poor
  • Priority: C - Slow decay; no solution agreed
  • Previous Priority: F
  • Ownership: Religious organisation
  • Designation: Listed Place of Worship grade II*, CA

Contact Details

Cristina Gardiner 0121 625 6850

Next steps

Read more about this historic site on the National Heritage List for England