Church of St Luke, Claremont Road, Newcastle upon Tyne - Newcastle upon Tyne

Completed in 1890 to designs by Oliver & Leeson, St Luke's has a short nave with south porch, paired transepts and a chancel with north vestry and south chapel. It is constructed of red brick with steeply pitched roofs of Welsh slate, stone window surrounds and a west belfry. A scheme of external repairs was completed in 2014. Proposals for the repair of the interior are being developed to enable the main body of the church to be brought back into use for worship. Whilst these proposals develop, the adjoining parish hall is temporarily being used for worship.

Church of St Luke, Claremont Road, Newcastle upon Tyne - Newcastle upon Tyne
© Historic England

Site Details

    Designated Site Name:
    CHURCH OF ST LUKE
    Heritage Category:
    Listed Building grade II
    List Entry Number:
    1355224
    Local Planning Authority:
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    Site Type:
    Religious ritual and funerary > Church

Location

    Building Name:
    Church of St Luke
    Street Name:
    Claremont Road
    Locality:
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    County:
    Tyne and Wear
    District / Borough:
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    Parliamentary Constituency:
    Newcastle upon Tyne Central
    Region:
    North East

Assessment Information

    Assessment Type:
    Place of worship
    Condition:
    Fair
    Priority:
    D - Slow decay; solution agreed but not yet implemented
    Previous Priority:
    D
    Ownership:
    Religious organisation
    Designation:
    Listed Place of Worship grade II, CA